Varramista is a timeless place where intellectuals of every era, famous people from the international and Italian artistic, cultural and business world have stayed. An earthly paradise surrounded by nature. An estate just for its guests.
'50s The years of the Agnelli and Piaggio families, who made Varramista their summer residence, a place to relax and spend their leisure time in, with its private stables. In its full splendour the estate still welcomed famous figures of the time, such as Count Emilio Pucci di Barsento, Marcello Mastroianni, Count Clemente Zileri dal Verme, the Countess Franca Spalletti Trivelli and in 1959 was the location chosen for the wedding of Antonella Bechi Piaggio and Umberto Agnelli.
'90s Giovanni Alberto Agnelli chose Varramista as his own residence and began to manage it himself, beginning with a reconversion of the vineyards making Syrah the estate's top vine species and thus creating its prestigious wines. In 1996, Varramista was once again the chosen location for the wedding of Avery Howe and ‚ÄúGiovannino‚ÄĚ Agnelli.
Gino Capponi (1792-1876), the only son of the Marquis Pier Roberto and the Marquess Maddalena Frescobaldi, the historian, senator, law-maker and intellectual spirit of the literary, cultural and political world of his time chose Varramista as his favourite residence in 1825 and invited famous figures such as Alessandro Manzoni to stay with him there.
In 1876 Varramista was inherited by his daughter Marianna, the widow of the Marquis Francesco Maria Gentile Farinola. At his death in 1885, Varramista became the property of the Gentile Farinola family, a noble family originating from Genoa.
The villa was designed by Bartolomeo Ammannati (1511-1592) the famous Florentine sculptor and architect at the Medici court who collaborated in the transformation of the Pitta Palace and the building of Neptune's fountain for the Signoria in Florence. The main building was completed in 1589, as inscribed in the roof tiles.
It is recounted that Varramista was donated by the Florentine Republic to Gino di Neri Capponi for his victory at the head of the Florentine troops, against the city of Pisa in 1406. The Villa was built as an outpost against the Pisans. The Capponi family was one of the most illustrious families in Floentine and Italian history from the XII century onwards.